Thursday, February 26, 2009

New York Museum, Exhibits 9-11-01

Today I arrived in Albany, New York.....the state capitol. When I have a trip in a city that I haven't been to before I usually ask at the hotel if there are any sites to see or nice places to walk. This time I was directed to the New York Museum. I almost didn't go into it once I found it because I was getting quite cold and I had some work I needed to do back at the hotel..........I'm so glad I didn't pass this opportunity up! When I first went in I found it to be interesting, especially the early years of New York. Much to my surprise as I rounded a corner there was a section dedicated to 9-11. It was a very sobering experience, one I'm glad I had the opportunity to see.

This was fire engine #6. Half burnt and very mutilated. Four of the firefighters that drove this engine were killed in the disaster.





I was amazed to see the ice chest still in place.


I thought these tires were amazing! If you'll look at some of the previous pictures you'll notice that the back tires were OK. Look how it was torn off.

This is the front end of engine #6.

This was one of their hats, found in the ruble........

the same hat.

These are the four firemen that perished from engine #6.

It brought tears to your eyes.

A stretcher

A fireman's umbrella and oxygen tank.
A police officers shirt and two badges.
The badges were still full of soot.

The door to a Police car.

Some souvenirs that were found


A Boeing 767 seat belt

A piece of the airplane wing

Boeing 767 Landing Gear.

Today was a very sobering reminder of a very sad time in our Nation.

3 comments:

Proudfoot Family said...

You're right those pictures are very sobering. Glad you got the opportunity to go.

Tim, Casey, Landon, and Claire said...

WOW! I'm speechless. I too am glad you were able to visit the exhibit.

Brian and Angela said...

These pictures brought back all the feelings I felt 7 years ago when we walked around Ground Zero together. Humbling and sobering. Thanks for sharing.

 
Hit Counters